Current:Home > ScamsOne of America’s 2 Icebreakers Is Falling Apart. Trump’s Wall Could Block Funding for a New One. -Capitatum
One of America’s 2 Icebreakers Is Falling Apart. Trump’s Wall Could Block Funding for a New One.
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 21:34:22
This story was co-published with NBC News.
The U.S. military’s only heavy icebreaker suffered more equipment breakdowns during its mission to Antarctica this season, adding urgency to the calls for Congress to approve long-delayed funding to replace the aging polar fleet.
As the icebreaker Polar Star led a supply mission to a research station in early January, its crew faced power outages that forced it to shut down the ship’s power plant and reboot the electrical system. Leaks forced the Coast Guard to send divers into the icy water to repair the seal around the propeller shaft. And one of two systems that provide drinking water for the crew also failed, the Coast Guard said.
In its previous trip to Antarctica, the crew scrambled to patch a leak in the engine room that at one point was pouring 20 gallons a minute into the compartment.
“If a catastrophic event, such as getting stuck in the ice, were to happen to the Healy in the Arctic or to the Polar Star near Antarctica, the U.S. Coast Guard is left without a self-rescue capability,” the Coast Guard said. Those are the military’s only icebreakers, and the Polar Star is 12 years past its life expectancy.
InsideClimate News reported late last year on the decades-long effort to build new icebreakers as a warming Arctic increases ship traffic and access to natural resources. Even as the ice melts, unpredictable floes can still trap ships. The opening of the Arctic has also emerged as a national security priority for the Navy. While Congress put off funding for new icebreakers year and after year, Russia built out a fleet of more than 40.
The future of the Coast Guard’s icebreaker program may now depend on President Donald Trump’s demand for funding for a border wall and how Congress responds.
‘We Will Not Have the Funding’
Democrats released a budget negotiating document Wednesday warning that the icebreaker program is among a list of top priorities “which we will not have the funding to address if the President insists we set aside $5.7 billion for border barriers.” The Coast Guard’s most recent review determined that it needs six new icebreakers. And $750 million had been requested toward the construction of one new ship.
“Getting new icebreakers is absolutely imperative,” Coast Guard spokesman Nyx Cangemi said, noting that it will take at least five years to complete a new icebreaker once funding is approved.
“The U.S. just simply is woefully behind in terms of our planning and our vision for what is now a new ocean opening, a fourth coast,” said Michael Sfraga, director of the Polar Institute at the Wilson Center, a research group in Washington, D.C.
Sfraga said that protecting commerce and national security interests in the Arctic is emerging as a critical issue in coming decades, and that Congress should spend the money for a new icebreaker no matter what happens in the negotiations over a border wall. “From the perspective of our nation’s defense,” he said, “that’s not a lot of money.”
‘Uber for Icebreakers’?
In December, Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska) proposed legislation that could provide some additional ship support in the Arctic. The bill aims to bolster the nation’s presence in the Arctic Ocean with what she characterized as “Uber for icebreakers.” It would create a development corporation that, among other things, would set up a system for contracting with private icebreakers and working with foreign governments to use their ships.
Sfraga said the system is a good idea whether or not the Coast Guard gets new icebreakers. He said nations have to work together to ensure the Arctic is safe for commerce when and if shipping companies decide to begin operating there regularly.
“We should probably scope that out now,” he said, “versus being reactive in a couple of decades.”
veryGood! (399)
Related
- Louisiana high court temporarily removes Judge Eboni Johnson Rose from Baton Rouge bench amid probe
- Defense Secretary Austin was treated for prostate cancer and a urinary tract infection, doctors say
- Aftermath of Sandman Signature Fort Worth Downtown Hotel explosion: See the photos
- RHOSLC Reunion: The Rumors and Nastiness Continue in Dramatic Preview
- JoJo Siwa reflects on Candace Cameron Bure feud: 'If I saw her, I would not say hi'
- 'AGT: Fantasy League': Howie Mandel steals 'unbelievable' Ramadhani Brothers from Heidi Klum
- Tiger Woods' partnership with Nike is over. Here are 5 iconic ads we'll never forget
- Germany’s last major department store chain files for insolvency protection for the third time
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Powerball winning numbers for January 8 drawing; Jackpot at $46 million after big win
Ranking
- Immigration issues sorted, Guatemala runner Luis Grijalva can now focus solely on sports
- Global economy will slow for a third straight year in 2024, World Bank predicts
- Secret tunnel in NYC synagogue leads to brawl between police and worshippers
- CES 2024 updates: The most interesting news and gadgets from tech’s big show
- Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
- Maryland Gov. Wes Moore proposes public safety measures
- Michigan vs Washington highlights: How Wolverines beat Huskies for national championship
- Former Pakistani prime minister Khan and his wife are indicted in a graft case
Recommendation
Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
The 'Epstein list' and why we need to talk about consent with our kids
Tina Fey consulted her kids on new 'Mean Girls': 'Don't let those millennials overthink it!'
Michigan’s ability to contend for repeat national title hinges on decisions by Harbaugh, key players
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Michigan's Jim Harbaugh has a title, seat at the 'big person's table.' So is this goodbye?
Kate Middleton Receives Royally Sweet Message From King Charles III on Her 42nd Birthday
Former CNN host Don Lemon returns with 'The Don Lemon Show,' new media company